“Voluntary simplicity means going fewer places in one day rather than more, seeing less so I can see more, doing less so I can do more, acquiring less so I can have more.”
– John Kabat-Zinn
Simplify Your Life
Got too much to do? Too much to think about? Too much stuff? It’s time to simplify!
Here are seven ways to do that:
- Declutter. For one, did you know clutter and procrastination are linked?
- Delegate. Offload tasks so you can focus on what matters most.
- Decrease expectations. Don’t get caught up chasing perfection.
- Decrease spending. Having a budget frees up time and emotional energy.
- Downsize your schedule. Let go of activities that don’t serve your goals.
- Do one thing at a time. Multitasking does more harm than good.
- Unplug. Make time to reconnect with the real world.
So, what’s one thing you can do today to simplify your life?
Harness the Power of Empathy
Here’s a surprise tip for improving your work performance: be more empathetic. Empathy reduces workplace conflict, improves problem-solving, and builds stronger teams.
Check out 8 more ways to practice empathy here. Why not give it a try today?
Uma Naidoo, MD, Nutritional Psychiatrist & Professional Chef
The author of This is Your Brain on Food wakes naturally between 4.30 and 5am. She:
- Does sun salutations and a morning meditation to center herself.
- Writes down a combination of gratitude and affirmations.
- Makes her grandmother’s recipe for golden milk – a morning ritual. “It connects me with tradition, my cultural roots, and my joy.”
- Spends 10 minutes outside for fresh air and vitamin D.
Why it works:
- Practicing sun salutations (Surya Namaskar) has been shown to improve muscle strength, reduce stress, boost cognitive function, and more.
- Both gratitude and affirmations have proven benefits.
- Small rituals have big powers. As does golden milk, reportedly.
Uma’s golden milk uses homemade hemp milk, fresh grated ginger, turmeric, a pinch of black pepper, a drop of Manuka honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. She praises its anti-inflammatory powers and impact on gut health.
Maybe it’s time to get out the turmeric… Have you tried golden milk yet?