“Change is not a bolt of lightning that arrives with a zap. It is a bridge built brick by brick, every day, with sweat and humility and slips. It is hard work, and slow work, but it can be thrilling to watch it take shape.”
– Author Sarah Hepola
Check Your Self-Expectations
Are your expectations of yourself healthy and realistic? We all need goals and standards to aim for, but we also need to know when to let go.
For example, would you be happier if you accepted your body as it is instead of pursuing an unrealistic ideal? Or if you gave up on your dream to be a billionaire and lived the life you already have to the fullest?
Setting unrealistic expectations sets us up for disappointment and frustration. Go here for tips on managing your expectations for better mental health and happiness.
Unleash the Power of Anticipation
But that’s not all: anticipation is a powerful motivator. The promise of a future reward pushes us to accomplish tasks. So, the trick here is to actively give yourself things to look forward to.
Plan fun activities, try new things, set yourself challenges and rewards, break big goals into smaller milestones so you have a stream of accomplishments ahead… All these things have strong motivational power.
Do you have something to look forward to today?
Rebecca Slater, Founder of Beck and Call PR
Running a PR agency (plus being a Mom) means staying organized is key for Rebecca Slater.
- Before getting out of bed, she grabs her planner and sets out her day by the hour. “I schedule time for emails and social media, work tasks, and any evening plans.”
- Writes down her main goal for the day as well as a general to-do list of life tasks.
- Gets up and does 30 mins of exercise using the Peloton app to find a workout that suits how she feels that day – cardio if energetic, weights for strength, or stretches/yoga if she feels lethargic or stiff.
- Eats breakfast and starts her day.
Why it works:
- Using a planner to schedule your day helps with time management, improves productivity, and helps ensure you make time for activities that matter to you (hello, Panda Planner!).
- Writing down goals keeps you focused and makes you more likely to achieve them.
- Exercise is awesome for mental and physical health – and listening to your body is the way to go.
By planning her day from the get-go, Rebecca can better stay on track with tasks while maintaining a work-life balance. Do you schedule time for both work and play?