“Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.”
– Marcus Aurelius
Know The Best Time To Meditate
Meditation is great. 🧘You get to sit around relaxing and you reap a hundred benefits in the process (literally!). So, the question isn’t so much why to meditate, but when?
Here are some pointers:
- Morning meditations can set you in a positive mindset for the day. Use them for setting intentions and starting the day with focus.
- If you can’t fit it in your morning routine, try meditating during your lunch break. It’s also a great way to re-energize and overcome an afternoon slump!
- Want to sleep better? Meditate before bed.
- Meditate anytime you feel stressed or anxious—when you get home from work, before giving a presentation or entering a social situation, etc.
- Or, failing all that, any time you can! Even five minutes can make a difference.
Read more here, and experiment to find what works best for you.
Reclaim Your Focus
Not as productive as you’d like? Blame the constant distractions that are all around you! But how can you eliminate distractions and reclaim your focus? Here are some strategies:
- Create a distraction-free environment. Close the door, put on noise-cancelling headphones, silence your phone.
- Set 3-5 main objectives every day. If you already use the priorities section of Panda Planner, you’ll know how powerful this is for staying focused.
- Set a deadline. The less time you have to complete something, the more focused you’ll be!
How do you stay focused? Tell us your strategies!
Melanie R. Bridgeforth, President & CEO of the Women’s Foundation of Alabama
Melanie R. Bridgeforth says that the start of the day is largely within her control, making this time her most “cherished and intentional”. After rising at 5 am, she:
- Starts the day by spending quality time with her husband and French bulldog.
- Drinks cold-pressed green juice and coffee while scanning the news.
- Does a three to four-mile walk or run. “These scenic and hilly walks are either filled with devouring the latest podcasts on human issues I care deeply about, jamming out to an eclectic collection of tunes, or girl talk with my best friend – my mom.”
Why it works:
- Couples that spend time together are happier individuals, and hanging out with your dog is a great stress buster too.
- Small daily rituals can make us value and enjoy things more.
- Exercise, being in nature, music, consuming interesting information, chatting with a friend… all of these are energizing activities to start the day with!
“Each of these purposeful morning rituals helps me clear and nurture my mind, hone my craft, center what’s important, and prepare for the day ahead,” says Melanie. Do you treat your morning routine as a series of purposeful rituals?