“Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.”
– Rumi, 13th-century Persian Poet
Tell Stories To Improve Your Mental Health
Stories can make us laugh, cry, sit on the edge of our seats… More than that, they’re good for our mental health. Why?
Additionally, reflecting on and sharing our own stories helps us heal and grow, and gives us a chance to shape our own narratives.
What stories do you tell about yourself? Are you “unfolding your own myth”?
Learn Your Character Strengths
Did you know that scientists have defined 24 character strengths – and that you possess every single one of them to some degree?
Knowing which ones you’re best in can help you understand what goals to pursue and how to achieve them. Are you, above all, curious? A leader? Creative? Courageous?
Here’s an easy way to find out: take this free survey at the VIA Institute on Character. In 10 minutes, you’ll better understand your own character strengths. Why not give it a shot?
Lauren Muir, Clinical Counselor, Mindset Coach, Consultant & Speaker
The co-owner of Martin and Muir Counseling preps her morning the night before. She:
- Checks her calendar and schedules everything for the next day “including workouts, down time, work, and time with my kids.”
- Journals before bed. “This is my time to just relax, be creative, and process whatever feelings I have had that day.”
- Starts her mornings with water, coffee, and music.
- Works out with a personal trainer two days a week. “This is another way to clear my mind and it’s an energy boost for the day.”
Why it works:
- Scheduling helps keep us focused on the most important aspects of our day.
- Journaling is great for mental health and a fantastic evening activity.
- Music gets your brain moving and can boost your mood.
- Research shows working with a personal trainer can get you better results.
We love that Lauren uses her schedule to block out time for what matters most – including downtime and family time. Hands up if you’re using Panda Planner to set your own schedule and priorities each day? ✋Let us know how it’s working for you!